Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Finding a Ready Made.

c. David Grim (taken 6/23/09)

Once in awhile I spot a texture in my environment that simply appeals to my eye, and I have to search for my camera and capture a certain quality within it. It doesn't matter what I'm doing; I simply have to conclude the action I'm involved with and enter a different head-space. If I'm away from home, I'm always gracious that I have my equipment nearby. Otherwise, there's the chance that the vision will plague me for days, and I'll rue the lost opportunity.

In the case of this image, I was aided by the morning sunlight. I was relieving myself in the motel bathroom where my GF and I had over-nighted, and I noticed the old fashioned glass in the window. I don't know the proper name for this ridged pattern, but I recognize it intuitively from my childhood past. I'd guess it's no longer in fashion.

I think of this type of photo as a "ready made". The subject was there waiting for me (or anyone) to shoot it. I didn't necessarily have to do much to set it up. It was merely my attention to detail, and my habit of scanning my surroundings, that led me to make the image. While I feel a bit lazy to receive a piece whole like that, I'd be a bit of a crank not to accept it with an open heart. Regardless, I find it fun to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment