Monday, January 11, 2010

Ravenwood Castle

c. David Grim (taken 8/3/09)

Looking for a romantic location for a weekend getaway? The Hocking Hills is only a short ride from Pittsburgh, in the southeastern region of Ohio. For my money, the best and most interesting bed-and-breakfast option in the area is Ravenwood Castle. I've always wished more lodging proprietors would inject some wild creativity into their facilities. Because if I'm going to spend in the $100-300 range for a room, I want atmosphere. Seriously, I want to be transported. And I'm willing to spend hours researching inns.

My stay was a b-day present, and we chose the "Woodcutter's Cabin". It had a two-person jacuzzi, a gas-fired fireplace, a deck overlooking the woods, and a king-sized bed. It also had some medieval costumes waiting for the fortunate in the closet. The one thing it didn't have was access to the outside world, which could be a good or bad thing depending on what you're after. Personally,I didn't want to be bothered. I'm all about the suspension of disbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment