Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Crusaders

c. David Grim (taken 8/3/09)

I don't often take photos with a political agenda. In fact photography has been a healthy escape from such compulsions over the years. And I want to avoid becoming overtly political on this blog. Yet when I decided I wanted to upload this particular image and write whatever came to mind while looking at it, I couldn't help thinking about the crusades, and that led me to think about the United States of America.

I honestly thought that our current president would downplay the role of war-making in the life of the nation. I know that it was naïve of me, but before the election of 2008, I truly believed that Obama would seek peace in the Middle East. While it's true that commentators and other political observers insisted that the Senator from Illinois was not a pacifist, I somehow refused to accept reality. I'm sure I wasn't alone in my assumptions.

Anyway, here we are investing more energy and treasure into military adventurism, making the world safe for global corporate control. There are folks getting rich off these operations, but I don't know any of them.

1 comment:

  1. Well, add Jon Landau to the list. Avatar totally mirrors your last paragraph. This movie will do well overseas, and to say the least it does not shine a good light on America.

    ReplyDelete