Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Bedizened and Bedraped.

c. David Grim (taken 8/23/09)

I have decidedly mixed feelings about fashion. On one hand, I have no inner drive to put a lot of time and energy into projecting a specific image using clothing. That's obvious to the people that have day-to-day interactions with me. If anything, I try to keep things as simple as possible. There's too much that can go wrong with elaborate costumes. Even when I wear a tie, it's likely to be turned around, or the small end is poking out the side. When I step out, I prefer comfort and durability. It helps too if the material masks stains.

But from an aesthetic standpoint, I have to admit to an appreciation for the elaborate looks some women cultivate. I can see the art in fashion design. So I've gone to a couple of shows, always dragged along by someone who's more excited about the proceedings than me.

One things that strikes me when I see these things is how impractical the designs are. Let's face it, these outfits are not the type of thing that are going to be worn often. They require a special occasion. Even a night out at a fancy dinner precludes all but the most conventional of apparel. And the more adventurous attire costs A LOT of money. So first you have to have the discretionary income to purchase some pieces that you will rarely don, and then you have to have the audacity to pick something bold, and finally you have to identify an occasion to wear it appropriately. It seems like much more trouble than it's worth. But God Bless those that step out in style.

No comments:

Post a Comment