Thursday, February 11, 2010

Staggering Chameleons.


c. David Grim (taken 2/25/09)

Are these two female superheroes poised at the edge of the freewheeling sixties? What kind of special powers would they have? Can they lead a drum circle for hours, or transcend the material world? Or are these prostitutes catering to some weird fetish?

Actually they are just two girls with face paint during Fat Tuesday. I'm not Catholic, so I really have no idea what that's all about. It has something to do with Lent, right? Mostly I just associate it with Mardi Gras in New Orleans. I've never been to that celebration, so I don't know if these chicks were honoring the occasion properly. I guess it doesn't matter, because it seemed like they were just using it as a pretext to get really f'd up.

It's a Pittsburgh tradition- any ethnic tradition carries with it an opportunity to get all jacked up on alcohol. The 'Burgh gets itself looped on St. Patrick's Day, and Dingus Day, and Columbus Day... and so on. And it really doesn't matter to folks whether they are simply appropriating someone else's holiday. I guess we could put a positive spin, and call it a process of "inclusion".

No comments:

Post a Comment