Monday, February 22, 2010

Existential Gloom.

c. David Grim (taken 3/9/09)

Ok. I understand why so many Americans self-identify as Christians. And all of a sudden the worldwide fervor over Islam makes more sense. When you've got all your ducks in a row, and you're finding the success in life that you want, it's easy to dismiss religion as a collection of unnecessary superstitions and dogma meant to take all the critical thinking out of life.

But when you're desperate or depressed, and things are not falling into place, it's easy to turn to outside help. Who doesn't want someone to tell them exactly what they need to break out of a deep funk?

I'm not saying I've had any kind of conversion experience. Most of the answers provided by spiritual leaders come off to me as too general, too rigid, and/or beyond sense or sensibility. Plus there is too much sociocultural baggage that seems to come with the territory.

All I'm saying is that sometimes I wish I could rely on an otherworldly authority to let me know the direction I need to be going in. But on the other hand, perhaps that would be the source of further complications that I just don't need in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment