Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Prometheus Descending.

c. David Grim (taken 5/11/08)

I thought I'd continue the trend of posting "people shots" for a bit. This past weekend I used some spare time to organize the images on my external hard drive. I have hundreds of them, and I've had difficulty sitting down to sort through them.

On one hand, it's tempting to shoot living things because you catch them in poses and attitudes that simply can't be replicated. Inanimate objects may have more universal appeal, but you really have to go out of your way to find subject matter that hasn't been photographed by thousands of other folks. Still, there has to be something compelling in the picture because many viewers are disinclined to care about humans they don't know personally.

The thing that draws me to direct my camera toward people is that the technique I've been employing results in an odd depersonalization. While identifying features tend to get lost, the emotionality of expression seems to be exaggerated in a very interesting way. Individuals become more archetypal.

3 comments:

  1. wow, i'm immortalized! i like the shot too. am i pulling a friend from the fire??? what a hero!
    ;P
    -mw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. It's one of my favorites. You look quite demonic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, what does that say? I see a hero. you see a demon...
    -mw

    ReplyDelete