Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Off My Ass and ON the Streets.

c. David Grim (taken 2/12/11)

Who could have guessed that we'd be looking at a warm spell smack in the middle of February? Believe me, I'm not complaining. In fact I am enthralled by the change. I actually took the time to take two extended walks over the weekend, and that's exactly what I needed. The relative lack of physical activity is really getting to me. I've put on weight. I feel sluggish and my clothes don't fit me the way I want them to. I knew that quitting smoking was going to exacerbate the problem, but that doesn't make me feel any better now that the potential has been realized.

So now I have an alternative to laying on my couch and watching television. It's been too easy to get sucked into the winter routine, especially with all the goodies I've recently acquired to keep me interested. I just started watching David Simon's "Treme" via On Demand, and it has already hooked me. Sure, the temptation is there to just hole up, order some food for delivery, and take in a new masterpiece. But you know what? I feel slightly less pathetic when I make the effort to get out and about. While it's inevitable that I leave the house when I'm with my son, or at work, I could easily get pulled into the sucking maw of my comfort space whenever I have "free time". Still, it's more difficulty to justify when it is nice outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment