Wednesday, December 15, 2010

And What Awaits (?)

c. David Grim (taken 12/12/10)

To be honest, I couldn't tell you how many times I've taken shots of a fortune teller machine... as displayed in this post. For one reason or another I am drawn to capturing these images, again and again, whenever I stumble upon the opportunity. I suppose that it's become a little bit cliché by now, even to me. But I know I'll go right on doing it anyway.

I suppose I could say that this impulse suggests a yearning for certainty and imposed direction in my life. It is disconcerting to be adrift, and it would be some comfort to know what lies ahead of me. I'm in a transition period right now, and the possibilities are fairly open in my future. Maybe there is something to be said for this type of existence. Perhaps I should enjoy the fact that my future is not being dictated for me. But still, I'd likely choose to find out what time holds for me in one or another specific category.

How many people could resist seeking reassurances in a moment of weakness brought on by doubt? Do you really think you could resist learning your destiny, if you knew it was available by simply asking for it? What if you found out that you had nothing but suffering and angst coming? Would you still be glad that it was revealed to you? Do you think you could prepare adequately for it? Conversely, would it take something away from the experience if you learned that you had a lot of good coming your way?

In the end I guess it's folly to even consider it. The existence of fate seems impossible with the vast number of variables threading through my life. I'm not even sure that belief isn't simply beside the point.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think telling the future can really could really help because of free will. All we have is Now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many
    No
    Ouch!
    No
    Probably not
    Nope

    I divined that you were looking for answers.
    I too am attracted this these and other vintage carnival-type amusement machines.
    Watch your mail.

    ReplyDelete