Sunday, September 5, 2010

And yet another excuse-making opportunity...


c. David Grim (taken 8/29/10)

Sometimes the clichés that we learn when we are young become more and more problematic as we age. For example, I remember receiving the impression as a teen that internal conflict and strife are necessary stimuli for creating quality art. While this idea may hold a kernel of truth at its very core, I think it's important to point out that individuals within our reality are NEVER completely free of trouble beneath the surface. Therefore the belief that we need to be specifically challenged by emotional tumult seems rather gratuitous.

Furthermore, I would submit that a certain level of stability and peace is absolutely necessary to find the commitment and focus to actually sit down and create something. I know that I'm never quite so productive as when I can establish the healthy patterns in my life that enable me to put aside the time to work on the things I am passionate about. Too often the exigencies of day-to-day life preclude me from mustering the requisite energy to pursue my muse.

Look, I don't want to come across as a whiner... but the last six weeks (or so) have been trying in ways that I haven't experienced in some time. So this is yet ANOTHER post explaining why I have been so inactive here on the Crown. I always seem to be one challenge overburdened, and thus incapable of contributing here. That sucks- particularly because my July show created a momentum I could have better exploited had I been able to keep my shit together. I'm not making any promises, but I'd really like to get back to the joys of pure creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment